Friday, September 27, 2019

Rough waters and winding roads

What a difference a day makes! I'm posting this a day late due to agonizingly slow internet at last night's hotel. Hard to load pics when...you can't load pics! But, I'm back to civilization, so to speak, and I'm also back in business...I have fast internet! Yesterday morning, I spent my time walking the Bluff Trail at Mendocino Headlands State Park. As I entered the park grounds, I immediately noticed it was popular with the locals. There were quite a few people walking the trails and along the road. I only hiked part of the Bluff Trail, but it gave me more than enough ocean views.




The seas were rough and the waves big as they pounded the rocky shore. It was pretty impressive, although the bird life didn't seem to think so. The gull was chilling and the black oystercatcher was just looking for breakfast. I noticed some unidentified dark objects congregated in the water at the surf line. Sea lions?





Afterward, I was going to visit another state beach park, but when I got there, it wasn't much. I decided to just continue down the road to fill up gas in the next good sized town. Somehow, I ended up going down the wrong highway, and before I knew it, I was WAY off course. To rectify this mistake, my GPS took me on a winding, bumpy road all the way back to Hwy 1. I felt a lot better driving on the RIGHT road, although it was also pretty curvy.  My afternoon destination was Fort Ross State Historic Park near Jenner, CA.



This fort was established in 1812 by Russian fur traders...the southern most of its type in North America, the rest being up in Alaska. The Russians recruited native tribal members to work with them, so it truly became a Russian-American settlement. While I was at the park, there was an educational program in session where children can reenact the life of a fort settler. Cute!





One week on the road, and the fun is just getting started! I'll be in the Los Angeles area in just a few days and I have at least one live show taping lined up. The weather has been beautiful...I hope it continues!

No comments: