Sunday, September 29, 2019

Who's noisier? Humans or animals?

I had a less than peaceful evening last night at what I thought was an excellent hotel. There I was, relaxing in my room, watching television when I heard shouting up and down my hallway, and slamming doors. After about an hour of this, I opened my door and saw an extremely intoxicated man and his wife, talking about their wasted daughters. But, the man himself could barely stand, he was so drunk! I called the front desk and the guy I talked to was rather dismissive, saying they would be kicked out at 11:30 pm. Well, not only did no one shut them up, it was STILL noisy when that time arrived! I ended up closing the bedroom door...I was staying in a suite...just so I didn't hear it anymore! To make matters worse, the clock radio in the bedroom woke me up at 6:00 am...and I didn't set it! When I checked out this morning and told the lady at the front desk about my noisy neighbors. She said there is supposed to be a security person on duty to deal with situations like that. Well, they didn't do their job! At least the hot breakfast was decent...pancakes and BACON!

Despite my negative hotel experience, I was looking forward to a pleasant day seeing some animals. My first stop was Ostrichland USA in Solvang, CA. I had visited this place in the past, and the attraction is feeding the ostriches and emus. I was not the only one who enjoyed the experience. When I left, a lot of people started showing up to feed the birds.


Yep, I fed the bad boys AND girls! I don't have any pics of myself feeding them because you literally have to hold the pan of alfalfa pellets with both hands. They are very voracious and aggressive eaters...the emus are a bit more timid and gentler.




I spent the afternoon at the Santa Barbara Zoo, my last visit being about five years ago. As expected...and it being a Sunday...the place was full of families. This zoo is not very big, but they have some nice animals. They also had a pretty decent cactus garden!

Masai Giraffe 

 Slender-tailed Meerkat

 Western Lowland Gorilla



Well, I'm spending the night just outside of Los Angeles. I'll be in the city for just a couple of days. Luck was not with me, and I wasn't able to get more than one live show ticket. But, the taping I will be attending tomorrow is a popular one...a show EVERYONE knows! I don't anticipate I will be asked to "Come on down!," but you never know...

No comments: