Monday, September 23, 2019

Sun, sand, surf and serval

It's a new day...and it was a sunny one at that! Yesterday's rainy one quickly became a distant memory as I traveled south through early morning fog. I made a quick stop to view the sands of Oregon Dunes, then continued on to the town of Bandon.


Right off US Hwy 101 is Face Rock State Scenic Viewpoint. And, what a viewpoint! Of course, it helps that the sun is out and there is almost no one around cluttering my pics! It was only later that I realized I didn't actually get a full shot of Face Rock! Oh, well...next time.





Afterward, I headed over to West Coast Game Park Safari just south of Bandon. I've visited this small zoo many times and had some nice animal encounters. Today, I was able to pet a Eurasian brown bear cub, a young serval and a Eurasian lynx kitten.




There were also some smaller animals: a Patagonian mara (cavy), a beautiful chocolate striped skunk and a cute groundhog. I also got to hold a ferret, but that's not really unusual.




Since I've seen most of the animals at this zoo before, I didn't linger too long. But, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to get some great shots of some of them. And, if you didn't already know, that tongue out thing is known as blep.





In the afternoon, I continued south to Port Orford Heads State Park to do a little hiking. I packed my lunch in my backpack and headed out on the Headland Trail. There was a sweet fragrance in the air from flowering shrubs, but I have no idea what type. Do you know?


When I reached the viewpoint at the end of the trail, I drank in the views and took a lot of pics. Then, I backtracked and planted myself on a bench to eat my lunch while enjoying the ocean vista. I took a loop trail back that provided even more scenic beauty.


 



Tomorrow will be another nice, sunny day, and I'll be heading away from the coast to spend some time with the giants. So far, my slow road vacation is going splendidly!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Oregon coast is SO gorgeous! I never get tired of visiting and/or seeing photos of it. It changes so much from the northern coast down to the southern coast.

No clue on the sweet-smelling shrub. I can't zoom in enough to get a good look at the leaves and flowers.