Friday, March 18, 2011

A Bash for the record books

When I got back from my damp sightseeing day, I stopped by my hotel's office to inquire about calling for a taxi to take me to the Marriott hotel, location of the Bash for Augie's Quest. When I stepped in the door, I saw a familiar face. The guy behind the counter was the same guy I talked to a couple years ago when I was in town for a Five For Fighting show! Not only that, Brandon...that was his name...remembered me, but couldn't remember the singer of his favorite song, All I Know! He said that taxis normally don't make appointments on Friday evenings, but he would try for me. About an hour later, I got a phone call in my room...success! A cab would be coming to pick me up. Later, when I went back down to the office to wait for my ride, I tipped Brandon for helping me out. We then talked for about a half hour while I waited. Such a nice guy!

My friend Johnny was waiting for me when I arrived at the downtown Marriott Marquis. It wasn't hard to tell which people were there for the charity event...most everyone was dressed in the requested red and black cocktail. Yes, including me! We went to the registration table and got our table assignment, then proceeded to the silent auction area. Neither myself or Johnny saw anything worth bidding on, so we just talked and waited for the ballroom to open and for the Bash to begin. I was hoping John Ondrasik would be there, since he is a HUGE supporter of Augie Nieto and Augie's Quest. But, his recent Twitter post mentioned poison oak, so I was pretty sure he would be a no-show.

When we entered the ballroom, the dinner salads were already waiting for us. That was soon followed by the entree...baked fish, steak, roasted potatoes and vegetables. The Today Show's Natalie Morales was host for the evening, and she introduced Augie and his wife Lynne. They got a long standing ovation, which brought tears to their eyes. There was a lot of love and support present in that ballroom! Then, the current U.S. Surgeon General, Dr. Regina M. Benjamin presented Augie with the Surgeon General's Medallion. The medallion is the third highest award of the Public Health Service, and is given for exceptional achievement in the arena of public health and medicine. In this case, the incredible research work being done by Augie's charity organization, Augie's Quest. A tremendous honor for such an inspiring man!

As we were served dessert...chocolate cherry mousse...the live auction started, soon to be followed by an energetic performance by the band Sugar Ray. Then, the check presentation. Total contributions for the night...a record $1, 323,721! It's a great feeling knowing that the money donated will be going directly to ALS research. Afterwards, I bid Johnny good night, and grabbed a taxi at the Marriott taxi stand. Tomorrow, it looks like it's going to be a little less wet...I hope! One last day to see the sights of San Francisco, then the slow road back north...and home!

No comments: