Saturday, March 12, 2011

Beauty KNOWS pain!

I left Las Vegas this morning to sunny skies. I was hoping it would not be too hot today. As I drove west to California, I could practically feel my arms getting darker...I tan pretty easy. I won't be needing my Vitamin D supplements, that's for sure! I didn't have enough time to really see Mojave National Reserve, since my priority was Joshua Tree National Park, so I just drove through. At one junction, just as I was turning south for Joshua Tree, a sign caught my eye... Amboy Crater. Then, I SAW the crater. Hmm...interesting. I turned around and drove a mile to the viewpoint to take a look at it. Cool. It's described as a cinder cone volcanic crater, rising up from the ground. I took a few photos from afar, then continued on to Joshua Tree.

Initially, my plan was to see wildflowers at the park. But, it soon became evident there were no flowers in the areas of Joshua Tree that I selected to check out today. I guess I should have planned things better! But, all was not lost. I DID see the beautiful cholla cactus garden. This particular cactus might be beautiful, but it's also dangerous. The plant is known for its branches that can break off easy and attach to your clothing. The spines are particularly hazardous and can be difficult to remove from the skin. I walked along the dirt trail running through the grove and took care not to make contact with the cholla. I also took a lot of photos, including the one you see above.

I spent the rest of the afternoon admiring the numerous rock formations and stone covered hills. Joshua Tree is popular with rock climbers, and I saw quite a few of them enjoying their hobby. With no wildflowers to photograph, I concentrated my efforts on the rocks...and the Joshua trees. I ended my day at the park with a pleasant 1 mile nature trail to Barker Dam. Many people did the same thing, since this trail is particularly easy and picturesque.

Tomorrow, I make the drive to the big city...Los Angeles! Like my road trip has been so far, my sightseeing plans there are a mixed bag. It will be nice to stay in one area and not have to drive too much for awhile.

No comments: