Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Mission accomplished!


I had the best night so far on my road trip...stayed at the Days Inn in Brigham City, UT. Sure makes one forget about the rough towels at "that other place." I left town and traveled south on an important mission...the quest for diet Code Red Mountain Dew. You laugh, but it's a serious matter. You see, the Pepsi Company stopped selling the stuff in Washington...and Oregon and Idaho, too. They said not enough people were buying it in those states. I like regular diet Mountain Dew, but I really missed my Code Red. While I'm on my road trip, I set some time aside to get some for myself and a friend...she also likes diet Code Red.

I stopped in Centerville, UT and the first store I checked only had one half case, which I bought. I was more successful at the second store...I bought FIVE more! That will be three for me, and three for my friend. Mission accomplished! I skipped breakfast to prepare myself for something I had been craving since last November's road trip... In N Out Burger! I lunched on a double double combo in Orem, UT...oh, yeah! It was worth the wait! I'll probably be doing In N Out at least one more time before my trip is over.

Back in my home state of Washington, the maximum speed limit is 70 mph. In Oregon, it appears to be 65. When I crossed the border into Idaho, it jumped to 75 mph. Now, this is plenty fast for me, but certainly not for a lot of other drivers...they were passing me. I found the same speed limit when I entered Utah, but I was in for a surprise. Apparently, they are testing out 80 mph in certain long, straight stretches of interstate. I encountered this today, but I did not feel compelled to increase my speed. I stuck to 75 mph, mainly because my Blazer just burns more gas the faster I go. I'm sure it's like this for other drivers, but they don't seem to care. You would think that with the higher gas prices it would affect their driving habits, but it doesn't seem to.

I only had one sightseeing destination today... Fremont Indian State Park. This park is known for its wonderful collection of pictographs and petroglyphs left by the Fremont Indians a thousand years ago. I had never seen rock drawings before, so it was especially fascinating for me. It was too bad most of the trails were too wet and muddy, so I wasn't able to see all of the drawings. But, I saw enough to make the trip worthwhile. I'll have to come back and see what I missed on a future road trip.

No comments: