Monday, March 21, 2011

Happiness is...

After yesterday's disappointing day, I was looking for a ray of sunshine. And, I got it, literally and figuratively. I started things off with a sit-down breakfast...something I hadn't done so far on my road trip. For some strange reason, I got my times all screwed up and I went to bed earlier than usual. I think it was the TV station I was watching...they were broadcasting the Mountain time zone. So, when I got up this morning, instead of 7:00 am...it was 6:00 am! I didn't figure it out until I put on my watch and glanced at the time. But, it actually worked out better for me...it gave me more time for breakfast. I drove north for about an hour, and stopped at a diner in Jackson, CA. This eatery was pretty typical...it was full of men! Truck drivers and working guys. I ordered the chicken fried steak, but only ate half and got the rest to go for tomorrow's breakfast.

I only had two attractions on the day's agenda. The first was a short drive up the road in Sutter Creek...the Sutter Creek Gold Mine tour. This modern mine is currently not being worked, but is open for public tours. I went on the first tour of the day with a family of four, and the tour guide drove us down below the surface in a motorized mine car. The guide went over the history of the mine, and explained the gold mining process. It was pretty interesting, and really cool to be underground in the dark tunnels.

The day may have started out cloudy, but as I left Sutter Creek and traveled west, the sun came out. When I reached Sacramento, I saw the result of the several days of heavy rain in the region. Brown water as far as the eye can see on both sides of the interstate from overflowing waterways. Even San Pablo Bay near Vallejo was the color of chocolate milk. The bad thing is...more rain is on the way tomorrow! For now, though, it was pleasant and sunny.

My other destination of the day was the Charles M. Schulz Museum in Santa Rosa. The creator of the world's most beloved comic strip, Peanuts, Schulz has left a lasting legacy for generations to come. This museum is a celebration of his life and his life's work. It was a thrill to see the actual original drawings that made their way into newspapers and books. Watching a video of Schulz drawing the Peanuts characters, I was mesmerized by his talent. There will never be another illustrator like him.

The weather looks favorable tomorrow for a bit of hiking. Only three more days of road trip left...

No comments: