Monday, March 7, 2011

Walking in history's path


Before I left Pendleton, OR this morning, I decided to fill the gas tank. I had done some checking the night before and found one station had regular for $3.39...3 days ago. I thought it was still a good place to fill up, so I went there...and found the price hadn't changed! With gas prices spiraling up, I consider myself fortunate to get one last tank of relatively "cheap" gas.

I drove just out of town to the Tamastslikt Cultural Institute. This museum is devoted to the history and culture of the Umatilla Indian tribe. Having previously worked at Nez Perce National Historical Park back in the 80s, I found the two tribes had a lot in common. After an enlightening hour at the excellent museum, I continued on to my next history lesson of the day. In Baker City, OR is the National Historic Oregon Trail Interpretive Center. This facility provides an in-depth overview of the Western emigrant experience, in particular, their travels along the famous Oregon Trail. The high point of my visit was actually standing on a section of the original trail. The wagon ruts were still quite visible, even after 160 years! You can see what I mean in the above photo.

I had a pretty good day up to then, but things changed as I continued east on Interstate 84. As I neared the town of Ontario, a charter bus zoomed past me in the fast lane. I had passed this bus going slow about 15 minutes earlier, and here it was, exceeding the speed limit. Then, the bus started cutting in front of me, barely clearing my front bumper! I laid on the horn, and the driver moved back in the fast lane. As he put a little more distance between us and moved into the right lane in front of me...a rock came flying from under its wheels. It smacked into the left side of my windshield, leaving a dime-sized star on the glass. I cursed the stupid bus driver, not only for his erratic driving, but also for throwing up the rock. After the bus settled in the right lane...he slowed down to the speed limit! What an asshole! I passed the bus and left him behind, but it ruined my mood for the rest of the afternoon. What did I say about good luck yesterday? I take it back...I think I jinxed myself.

No comments: