Sunday, March 20, 2011

Rained out? More like SNOWED out!

When I left San Francisco this morning, the skies were clearing...a big change from last night. The winds were just howling, and with rain, rain and more rain. Little did I know, I was just following the storm that passed over. My plan for the day was to spend the afternoon at Yosemite National Park to see some winter scenery. As I traveled east, the rain started picking up. I stopped in Oakdale for a lunch and gas pit stop. I also checked out a Hi-Tec shoe outlet, hoping to get a new pair of boots for work. I found something that I liked, but the price wasn't right...so I passed.

As I continued on my way and after traveling through the town of Groveland, the rain turned to snow. The snow was soon accumulating on the road, and turned from slush to packed snow. I passed by some cars that appeared to be putting on chains, but with my 4WD, I was doing okay. The photo above is a capture from a video I took, so you know what I was up against. But, after driving about 7-8 miles, no end in sight for the snow, and another 45 miles to Yosemite, I started getting concerned. I would only be traveling higher to Tioga Pass, which would probably mean more snow. And, even if I made it over, the last thing I wanted to do was risk getting stuck on the other side should they decide to close the highway. Reluctantly, I turned around, and headed back the way I came. I think I made the right decision. I can always see Yosemite again on a future road trip.

With no alternate plan, my only recourse was to check into my hotel early. This wasn't exactly a bad thing. I had cable TV and free wi-fi. In addition, I could probably use the extra rest. Road tripping is tiring, especially when you're trying to fit in as many activities as possible everyday. Besides, tomorrow is a new day, which means more sightseeing adventures! Only four more days on the road. Oh, by the way, when I checked the Yosemite website, it said the highway to the west entrance...the route I had been traveling...was closed due to snow conditions. So, I WAS right to turn around when I did!

No comments: