Monday, November 8, 2010

Ancient sentinels

When I woke up this morning, the sun was shining through the clouds and the skies were blue. I knew it was going to be a beautiful day! After a quick visit to the grocery store for bananas and carrots for lunch, I left Oakhurst for the short drive to Yosemite National Park. At the entrance station, I showed the interagency pass I purchased on my last road trip....still good till April...then, headed over to Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias. The only big trees I've ever seen are redwoods, and I was excited to see my first sequoias.

It had rained yesterday and overnight in Oakhurst, but at the higher elevations in Yosemite, it was snow that fell on the ground. It was still chilly as I started on the trail to see the sequoias...35 degrees! But, I quickly warmed up as I hiked along. At first, the trail gradually inclined. As I kept walking, though, the trails became steeper and steeper. To make it even more challenging, snow was on the ground and the trails...tougher to walk on that stuff. When I first started out, there were some people on the trail, too. I soon left them behind, and I found myself on the trail alone. Now, I admit I'm not in tip top shape, but I think most people would have gotten quite a workout on these trails! I occasionally stopped to take photos and admire the view, which gave me a breather. It was also interesting to see the different animals tracks in the new snow...deer, squirrel, chipmunk. Thankfully, no bear or cougar! As time went on, I began to question the wisdom of me hiking to the top. But, I told myself if I do it, I never have to do it again...so, I kept going. Three strenuous miles later, I made it! Then, I quickly took a different trail back down...SO much easier than going up! When I finally reached the parking lot, I was exhausted and famished. It took me THREE HOURS to do those six miles! After fueling up on Subway, carrots and chips, I was ready to see the main attractions.

Yosemite Valley is home to some of the most beautiful and well known natural attractions in the world. Right after driving through a eastbound tunnel...there they were! At an overlook, were the famous El Capitan, Half Dome and Bridal Veil Falls. The photo above is what I saw. It was truly breathtaking! From there, I stopped along the road often to take pictures. You can't get enough great shots of the sights! Even better, since it was so late in the year, there were not too many people in the park. My only regret is not having enough time to do hike some more trails, although at that point, I think I was all hiked out for the day! After getting photos of Upper and Lower Yosemite Falls, I was ready to leave. As I walked back to the Blazer, I noticed some people taking pics of some grazing deer. I opted to take a pass...after all, I see deer all the time in my neighborhood and backyard!

Tomorrow, a less strenuous day! A historic park, a cavern tour and a couple of local museums...less driving, too! I could use an easy day. Road tripping starts to catch up to you after awhile...particularly if you do it alone!

No comments: