Thursday, November 4, 2010

Making things right

Well, my night at the Brixton South Bay started out on the wrong foot. When I got there, I had a feeling something wasn't quite right. First of all, I wasn't on their VIP list...just kind of a separate list. I got my tickets and proceeded to the entry point. I showed my tickets, but there was some confusion about my VIP seats. Then, I was told to look for my designated seating area...my name should be on a table. I looked...and looked...and looked. No name and no table! I started asking around and was told to get one of the wait staff to help me out. When I explained my situation, she ended up notifying the club manager. Turns out she was never notified by the Five For Fighting management that I had VIP seats. OH, NO! It appeared there had been a communication problem between the Muscular Dystrophy Association...they sponsored the charity auction that resulted in me winning the Five For Fighting show experience...and John Ondrasik's manager. Someone neglected to let the Brixton management know that I was to have VIP seats. Wanting to make things right, the very nice Brixton manager seated me and my friend at a booth...but, the view was lousy. Yeah, I was close to the stage, but I was sitting way to the side. I admit I was a bit upset at the whole matter, but tried to put a positive face on the situation. In the meantime, the Brixton manager said she would let John and his manager know what happened.

Well, I was sitting there still feeling kind of down when the Brixton manager and John's manager came to the table. They had a remedy to the screw-up...proceed backstage to the Green Room and spend some time with John! Now, I had NEVER been backstage in my life, although I had always wished for something like that. So, my friend Lynne and I followed John's manager to the Green Room. I found John sitting on the sofa in front of a table of rather generic snacks...I don't think he was eating any of it. John greeted me and I introduced him to Lynne. John asked me how things were, and I told him a little about my road trip so far. I presented John with a little gift...a bottle of Washington State merlot. John is a big wine fan, and he appreciated the gift...which was encased in a UCLA Bruins wine bag! Yes, John's alma mater!

Then, John suggested we do the planned interview. So, I turned on my digital voice recorder...John made sure it was working...and got to the questions. Now, I had been told previously that I would only be allowed to ask a certain number of questions. But, I ended up asking John every single question I had brought with me...and then some! I told John at the start that I would be asking him stuff that he probably had never been asked before...or at least not very often...as I'm sure he sometimes gets tired of answering the same old questions. And, the interview went wonderfully. At the end, John complimented me on my questions, which made me feel great. It was only after I went back out to my booth that Lynne asked me why I didn't get photos with John. DOH! Well, I should get a pic with him after the show.

Even though my view of the stage wasn't the greatest, it didn't stop me from thoroughly enjoying the show. And, I managed to get a few decent photos, although the lighting...which was some what dim...made it difficult. The audience loved his stories...and of course, his music, too! His set list of the night was as follows:

World (piano)
The Riddle (piano)
Chances (guitar)
Slice (guitar)
65 Mustang (guitar)
Freedom Never Cries (piano)
Superman (piano)
Easy Tonight (guitar)
If God Made You (guitar)
I Just Love You (piano)
Augie Nieto (piano)
100 Years (piano)

Encore: Disneyland (piano), Hope (a capella)

As expected, John had a meet and greet session for those who stayed after the show. And, yes, I got my photo with John! I also took pics of Lynne and her two friends who also came to see John. One of them, Trish, had never been to a Five For Fighting show and came away a new fan.
Tomorrow, I travel to San Juan Capistrano to see my second Five For Fighting show at The Coach House. I have a dinner ticket, so we'll see how that goes. I'm ready for more!

No comments: