Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Nomming with Nom Nom Truck

I only had a few hours this morning to spend sightseeing. So, I decided to stick to the touristy stuff in Hollywood. First, the obligatory visit to Grauman's Chinese Theatre to check out the celebrity hand and footprints in concrete. The last time I was here was 25 years ago, and since then, there have been a lot of additions to the display. Next, I went to the Hollywood Museum, home to a lot of old Hollywood memorabilia, with a sprinkling of newer stuff.

Having skipped breakfast again, I made the short drive to Studio City to rendezvous with the now famous Nom Nom Truck. This mobile food truck was featured on Food Network's The Great American Food Truck Race this last summer. I was rooting for Nom Nom Truck...they specialize in Vietnamese style bahn mi sandwiches...but, they fell short and had to settle for runner-up. During the competition, from city to city, they wowed people with their food. I knew I had to try them out for myself. I found out their lunch location from their website, and spotting the truck, parked in front of it. Since I would only be a few minutes, I decided not to put a coin in the parking meter. Just as I stepped on the curb, a Los Angeles County sheriff's car parked on the street behind me! Panicked, I told the sheriff's deputy exiting the car that I neglected to pay for parking. He cheerfully told me not the worry about it. I think he and his partner were more focused on getting bahn mi! I already knew what I was going to order...honey pork bahn mi! Grilled marinated pork with pickled vegetables, cucumber, jalapenos, cilantro and mayo on a crusty bagette. I drove to the nearby Fryman Canyon Park to enjoy my sandwich...and it was awesome! I might try to seek out the Nom Nom Truck again tomorrow before I head south.

My biggest event of the day was attending the taping of The Late, Late Show with Craig Ferguson. I did this last November, and it was so much fun, there was no doubt I wanted to do it again! I parked my Blazer at The Grove parking garage, and walked around the outdoor shopping center to kill some time. I came upon what appeared to be a filming set-up, and read signs that said they taped segments for the TV show Extra with Mario Lopez. I was interested in seeing him, but I wanted to get to CBS Television City early enough to be at the front of the line. After returning to my car to leave my camera...it wouldn't be allowed in the TV studio...I walked back to the mall to find...Mario Lopez had arrived. Rats! Maybe I should have waiting another 10 minutes...I could have gotten pics! Oh, well. At least I saw him!

It was blazing hot today...the thermometer said 98 degrees! I walked the short distance from The Grove to the CBS entrance. I was pleased to find no one waiting yet...I was first in line! That would hopefully translate into a primo spot in the audience seating area. At least the assigned waiting area was in the shade! When the time came to enter the studio, sure enough, I found myself in the front row! That sure beats back row like last time, although you really don't have a bad seat in the house. One thing you may not know. The musical guests may not necessarily perform on the day that you see them on TV! We were treated to a pre-show performance by a group, whose name escapes me. But, we were told they would appear on a future show. The same warm-up comedian as last time was there...goes by the name Chucky B. REALLY funny! The guest for the show was Jayma Mays, who plays Emma Pillsbury on the TV series, Glee. She and Craig were great...lots of laughs! So, I guess you can say I enjoyed myself! Needless to say, I would love to see the show again in the future , and I would highly recommend it to everyone!

I ended my day by stopping by the Farmer's Market adjacent to The Grove to pick up dinner. I already knew what I wanted to get...Brazilian grill! They had a nice buffet at the Pampas Grill, and I got takeout. Lamb, garlic beef and the always tasty fried plantains!

Tomorrow, I drive south to Redondo Beach and my first Five For Fighting show of my groupie road trip. I'll be on the VIP list at Brixton South Bay, courtesy of the Muscular Dystrophy Association charity auction. Then, after the show, I'll have a meet and greet with John Ondrasik. And, if that's not enough, I will finally...after much asking...be granted the privilege of interviewing John for my fan site, Five For Fighting Fan Central. I was able to get a print interview last year, but I was looking for the more coveted face to face. So excited it will become a reality! It will take me awhile to dictate to print what my digital voice recorder will pick up. But, I'll give you the lowdown on tomorrow night after the show!

No comments: