Monday, November 1, 2010

Take me to the bottom of...the ocean

It was nice to wake up to sunshine for a change. But, I think the sun contributed to the slowdown in rush hour traffic as I left San Francisco and traveled south. Drivers blinded by the morning rays directly in their faces, and a little fog in one spot from the sun hitting the cold waters of the bay. But, the tie ups weren't so bad, and in no time, I reached Santa Cruz. I was looking forward to getting a real breakfast for a change. My destination was Santa Cruz Diner...an eatery featured on Food Network's Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. Every road trip I try to seek out restaurants I've seen on television. A few days ago I went to Pacific Pie Company in Portland, and now this place. I got country fried steak with eggs to go, and made the short drive to the nearby Natural Bridges State Beach. I settled down at a picnic table and enjoyed my meal in the mid-morning sunshine.

This particular state park had two features I was interested in checking out. It's a wintering area for monarch butterflies traveling from the north to escape the colder weather. And, there is a natural mudstone arch that was one of three carved out by wave erosion...the other two were destroyed by wind and waves. I was hoping to see thousands of butterflies, but there were just some flitting around the trees and tall shrubs. More monarchs than I've ever seen at one time, but nothing impressive...a disappointment. After taking photos of the arch, I left the park for Monterey.

At this time, I realized that I underestimated the amount of time it would take for me to complete the day's activities. I had been planning to visit Point Lobos State Natural Reserve later in the afternoon, but I decided that was out of the question. When I arrived at Monterey Bay Aquarium, I checked my GPS and found out it would take about 2 hours to drive to my pitstop for the night. Better to concentrate my time at the aquarium, and leave Point Lobos for a future road trip.

Monterey Bay Aquarium has always been one of those places I just had to visit. I had heard so many great things about it, and I found out it was all true! The fish tanks and exhibits were awesome! I was especially impressed by the jelly fish and the seahorses. But, my high point of the day had to be my close encounter with a bat ray. These gentle creatures were swimming around in a touch tank, and yes...I touched them! They were surprisingly...soft! Kind of like running your hand over wet fur! Strange, but true!

Tomorrow...Los Angeles! And, two days later...my first Five For Fighting show of the trip! Yes, Thursday will be a VERY special day for me...in more ways than one! Stay tuned...

No comments: