Sunday, November 7, 2010

Super moment...Superman

My last show of the current Five For Fighting tour was certainly a special one...have I been saying that for every show? I attended with friends Lynne and Dave, who were with me at the Redondo Beach concert. Unlike last night, dinner was actually pretty decent at the Canyon Club, although it's pretty hard to mess up prime rib! The crowd was a little better audience with opener Matt Hires...their bantering didn't quite drown out his music. It might have also been the decent sound system, though. Oh, I guess I should mention I had a GREAT seat for this show, courtesy of my two friends! Got some nice photos, like the one you see here.

When John came on stage, he started out by communicating his pleasure at his Bruins football team winning this afternoon. He got right into World on piano, and replicated his set list for the past two nights (see Making things right blog). But, he did things a little differently for Superman. Cellist Victor Lawrence...who has played with John on past albums...accompanied him for that song. Victor was with John for his appearance in The Concert For NYC, and John reminisced on that special benefit concert. Hearing Victor play his cello for Superman was a wonderful addition to John's performance, and the highpoint of the evening.

After the show, I was hoping for one last photo moment with John, but it wasn't to be. I DID get to say goodbye to wife Carla, though! She was talking to a few friends, and when she saw me, told them I was John's biggest fan...she said it again! I guess it must be true? I explained to the ladies that I followed John from show to show when he toured the west coast, and they were pretty impressed. Then, I said my goodbyes to Carla and gave her a hug, and she wished me a safe trip home.

So, my groupie adventure has come to an end. But, my road trip continues. Still more sights to see, more fun on the horizon. And, thank goodness I'll be heading back into the cool weather!

No comments: