Sunday, March 4, 2012

Here there be lions

It was a bit foggy when I left Wilsonville, OR, but by the time I reached the Oregon coast, the sun was out and it was pleasantly warm...at least to me.  After dealing with day after day of 40s temps all winter, 60 degrees felt downright balmy.  I reached West Coast Game Park in Bandon, OR just after noon.  All my previous visits to this unique wildlife petting zoo were so rewarding.  I mean, who wouldn't be thrilled interacting with baby wild cats...tiger, leopard, cougar.  The one thing missing on my list...lion cubs...and I was pretty sure that would change today. 

Just a few minutes after arriving at the zoo, there was an announcement that a black leopard cub would be available for petting.  I had played with one of those on my last visit, but there was no way I was going to turn down another chance to meet one.  Seven-week-old Onyx was one playful little dude, and it was wonderful getting to know him.



The zoo handler said that there would also be two lion cubs available for petting...YESSSS!  I can't remember their names, but the 12-week-old brother and sister cubs were quite bigger than the panther baby.  One thing I noticed while interacting with the lions, they tended to climb and grab without their claws extended.  It was so awesome to be so close to the two beautiful cats.



Another awesome time at West Coast Game Park, and I'll definitely be back for another opportunity to intermingle with the baby cats.  Before heading for my nightly pitstop, I did a little hike at a place just north of the California border.  The U.S. Forest Service Redwood Nature Trail in Brookings, OR features the northernmost grove of redwood trees on the coast.  The mile long trail snakes it way through the redwoods, crossing over a water-filled ravine a few times.  It was pretty peaceful...I only encountered one guy and his little dog going in the opposite direction.


Tomorrow, I make the long drive to San Francisco.  It will be nice to relax in that great city a couple of days and not do a whole lot of driving.  I'm also looking forward to getting some good eats...lots of that in San Francisco!

No comments: