Monday, March 19, 2012

Take me home, country road

It was a bit chilly this morning when I left Three Rivers, CA.  After partaking of the free hot breakfast the hotel provided, I headed north on Hwy 99, which pretty much runs parallel to Interstate 5 from Los Angeles to northern California.  The highway is a little less boring than the interstate, since it runs through so many towns.  I had taken this road between L.A. and Sacramento in the past, but not north of that.  My activities today took me on that uncharted path.

Most of the day was devoted to driving...California is one LONG state!  After stopping for lunch in Manteca...last chance to eat at Ono Hawaiian BBQ...I continued on to Sacramento to check out the Sierra Sacramento Valley Medical History Museum.  The small museum turned out to be a bit on the boring side, but it DID have a few interesting things.  Exhibits included stuff like old surgical instruments, examples of early drugs and medications, and the diseases of note.  Of course, no museum of medicine would be complete without some examples of quackery like this instrument.  I wonder if this was used primarily on women?


I only spent about 15 minutes at the museum before heading north once again on Hwy 99.  There was a reason I took this route instead of Interstate 5.  Just east of Chico, CA is the Honey Run Covered Bridge.  This bridge is the only tri-span bridge left in the United States, and is also one of the few covered bridges left in California.  It was originally built in 1894, but wasn't covered till the early 1900s.

 

Tomorrow is my last full road trip day.  A long drive to Portland, OR in what looks like will be a windy, rainy day.  Welcome back to the Pacific Northwest!

No comments: