Thursday, March 8, 2012

The pinnacle of my day

When I left San Francisco this morning, I got caught up in a little rush hour traffic.  Most of it was traveling into the city, but it was slowing down my day.  Luckily, my GPS is equipped with live traffic updates, and suggested an alternative route...I took it.  I arrived at Pinnacles National Monument a little behind schedule, but all was good.

After getting some information at the visitor's center, I started out on my day hike.  I decided to be ambitious and take the Condor Gulch-High Peaks Loop, listed as a Strenuous route.  Normally, I don't like to challenge myself TOO much...I'm not really in shape for that...but, it was the only way to get the best view of the park's pinnacles.  So, I set off up the Condor Gulch Trail.  And, I do mean up.  The trail was all uphill, made slightly easier by the switchbacks.  I stopped frequently, not only to take a breather, but to snap photos along the way.


When I reached the end of the Condor Gulch trail, it merged with the High Peaks Trail.  As I was getting my second wind, a couple of guys came down the trail I was getting ready to ascend.  I asked them if I was anywhere near the top, and they replied it was not much farther.  I don't know if I looked tired out, but one of the guys offered me water.  I told him that I was okay...I had water.  He then offered me a pear.  I politely declined...said I had food, too.  It was nice of him to offer, though.  I continued walking, and got great shots of the pinnacles and other rock formations.


The biggest challenge turned out to be just before the summit.  There was a section of trail that traveled up and down a set of rocks.  Steps were carved into the stone, and there were railings also installed to make things a bit safer.  It was a little scary, but I took things slow and got through that section without a problem.


As with many other parks I've visited in the past, I found myself always on the lookout for wildlife.  The vultures and ravens circled overhead, probably waiting for me to keel over so they could eat my corpse.  There were little lizards skittering along the sides of the trail.  I particularly liked this large ground squirrel which was nibbling on grass...so cute!


After walking uphill 1200 feet, it was quite a relief to hike back down the same distance.  In all, it took me about 4 1/2 hours to hike the 5.3 mile loop.  It would have been quicker had I not taken so many photos and had a brief lunch break.  When I reached the parking lot, I could feel a small blister on the bottom of one foot.  A minor thing after conquering the Pinnacles. 

No comments: