Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Rain...what else?

When I left Redding, CA this morning, I knew there would be rain in my future.  As I drove I-5 through the mountains north of Mt. Shasta...also known as the Cascade Wonderland Highway...it WAS a winter wonderland, even though it was the first day of Spring.  Thankfully, there was no snow on the road, just the surrounding hills.  By the time I reached Portland, OR in the mid-afternoon it was just starting to rain a little.

I had just enough time in my day to visit the Oregon History Museum.  Although not a very large museum, it had some pretty cool exhibits.  The highlight was their award-winning permanent exhibit entitled Oregon My Oregon, which provides an overview of the history of the state of Oregon through the people who made the state what it is today.  Also of note, their special Treasures Of The Vault, which displays artifacts from important moments in Oregon's history...many which have never been seen.  Here's an old dentist's chair and x-ray machine...nice!


When I left the museum, the rain was really coming down.  It slowed the drive to my hotel, along with early rush hour traffic.  And, so, ends the last full day of my road trip.  Tomorrow, I'll make the half day drive home, to my own bed, to my cat...how I miss her...and going back to work the following day.  Not really embracing the latter, but at least I'll have great road trip stories to tell everyone! 

No comments: