Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Walt Disney: Man behind the magic

Another beautiful sunny day, and the low 60s temps were just perfect for me!  I started things out by driving to the western border of The Presidio at Baker Beach.  I took photos of the Golden Gate Bridge from there, and some shots of Battery Chamberlin, built in early 1900s to house coastal defense artillery.  Next...and the highpoint of my day...a visit to the Walt Disney Family Museum.



Located on The Presidio grounds, this museum is devoted to the life and work of the Walt Disney, the father of Disney Studios and of course, Disneyland.  From his early life growing up with family, his budding career in the film business, and creating first short animated films before advancing to animated feature films, this museum had it all.  There were detailed exhibits on his most famous animated star, Mickey Mouse, along with some of his well-known movies...Snow White And The Seven Dwarves, Dumbo, Bambi and Pinocchio. Not to leave out the live action stuff, there were displays on Mary Poppins, and TV heroes such as Davy Crockett and Zorro.  Ever the visionary, Walt created the greatest theme park in the world...Disneyland...and a large part of the museum was all about that.  The Walt Disney Family Museum is a must see for any Disney fan...and those like me who love great museums!

I went to one other small museum in the afternoon...the GLBT (Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender) History Museum in the Castro District.  The only museum of its type in the United States, I found it to be quite informative.  I've always believed in the idea that knowledge is power, and I'm always looking for new ways to expand my horizons.  Museums are a perfect way to do just that.  Tomorrow, I say goodbye to San Francisco and continue on my road trip...hiking! 

No comments: