Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Grand Canyon: Trekking below the rim

It was seven years ago that I last visited the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. At that time, I spent the day walking the western section of the Rim Trail. Today as I left Flagstaff, AZ, I was hoping to do a rather strenuous hike more to the east. The plan was to trek down the popular South Kaibab trail to the Ooh Aah Point overlook. It would be my first walk below the rim and it would prove to be quite challenging. I took a shuttle bus to the South Kaibab trailhead and ate my picnic lunch. Before I got started, I snapped some pics of a couple of Rocky Mountain elk.


The distance from the trailhead to Ooh Aah Point is listed as 1.8 miles round trip. Even though it was easier walking down the trail, I had to be careful because of my old age knees. There were a number of switchbacks before the trail straightened out.




As I walked along, I spotted a squirrel scrounging for food.  I took a picture of it...I think it's a rock squirrel.  I also noticed a mule train coming up the trail far below.



After a half hour of walking, I finally reached Ooh Aah Point and the views were spectacular!  Well worth the hike...and having to hike back up.



While I was taking in the views, the mule train of tourists showed up and continued up. Here is my view of the trail just before I started my return trip.



As I was preparing to leave, I noticed another two mules trains coming up.  They appeared to be pack mules, probably supplying the park camps at the bottom.  And, as I slowly made my way up the trail, the mule trains caught up and passed me.  Just below the switchbacks, the guides stopped to give the mules a breather.



My excuse of frequent rest breaks as I hiked back up was to take more photos...oh, and to rest, too.  Here a little more scenery and some flowers...white phlox and some kind of milk vetch.




When I finally got to the top, I took one final photo of the view. So beautiful! And I got another great view at the Pipe Creek Vista as I headed back to the parking lot. 



As I walked the paved Rim Trail from Pipe Creek Vista to the parking lot, I noticed some small, gray butterflies flitting around. I think it's called a Pacuvius Dusky Wing. I took a pic of one, plus a Western Scrub Jay in a tree above me.



Before leaving the Rim Trail, I took one last shot of the canyon views. It's really hard to take a bad picture. Tomorrow, I make the drive to Sin City to take in a museum and do a little gambling. Will I continue my winning ways from last December's trip to Vegas? 

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love that photo right before the squirrel! That BLUE sky just makes the whole thing look GORGEOUS!!!! :-)

Are you sure that photo of the people on the pack mules aren't actually the Brady Bunch!?! Did you happen to find Bobby and Cindy while you were down there!?! :-P