Monday, April 10, 2017

Hawks and the homefront

When I left last night's pit stop in Eureka, CA, it looked like I would be driving in sunshine. But, that quickly turned to hazy fog and it stayed that way for the whole morning. I continued down the Redwood Highway, stopping for a quick lunch in Ukiah. After my meal, the sun finally broke out for good and the 60s temps were just perfect for me. My first destination of the day was WildCare in San Rafael. This wonderful facility cares for and rehabilitates injured wildlife and those affected negatively by human contact.


There were a number of animals on display that for a variety of circumstances cannot be released back in the wild. They are Wildlife Ambassadors that provide an educational experience for visitors and don't mind being around humans. It was a bit challenging taking photos through the wire of their enclosures, but I managed for the most part. This red shouldered hawk was vocalizing quite loudly. Its next door neighbor, a Swainson's hawk was missing an eye but it was still an impressive sight.



There was also a beautiful Peregrine falcon, a sleeping Northern Spotted Owl and a Brown Pelican that could not longer fly due to wing damage from fishing line.




Before I left, one of the keepers brought out a red-tailed hawk named Grace so visitors could get a up close look at her. I particularly liked watching her feed Grace a snack of dead mice!


My other destination of the day was a visit to Rosie the Riveter/WWII Home Front National Historic Park. This museum highlights the war effort that took place in Richmond, CA during World War II.


Many people were employed in the shipyards and communities rose up from the influx of those workers and their families. In addition, many women who in peacetime were just housewives did the same jobs as the men. Rosie the Riveter and the motto "We Can Do It" embodied those tough ladies.


Tomorrow, I'll again be spending the morning driving...and hopefully be seeing some flowers in the afternoon. One more day and I'll be in Los Angeles!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the picture of the owl! As my Mom would say, "I'm not sleeping . . . I'm just resting my eyes." :-P