Sunday, April 9, 2017

Sunday is Turkey Day!

I left Roseburg, OR at 7:30 am, traveling south on I-5 before transferring to US Hwy 199...also known as Redwood Highway.  Even though it was somewhat foggy, I was happy when sunshine quickly burned that off.  As the highway narrowed, the car in front of me slowed down for...a wild turkey on the side of the road.  It wasn't long after that when I spotted several large dark birds also right off the highway.  When I got closer, I saw that they were turkey vultures fighting over the carcass of no doubt some sort of road kill.  At the California border, I declared carrots and Washington apples to the state agriculture officer and we waved me through after confirming they store bought apples.  I decided to stop for lunch...it was a turkey cold cut sub...at a beach picnic area and enjoyed watching the waves crashing on dark colored sand.


About ten miles down the road, it was time to do the cheesy touristy thing and drive my beloved Outback through the Klamath Tour Thru tree.  It was the last one of three in the redwood area that I hadn't visited with this car.


Next, I did some hiking at Patrick's Point State Park.  I got some nice ocean views despite the fact then sun decided to take a break while I was there.  I also took some pics of a hungry California ground squirrel.  And, no...I didn't feed it!



Since I still had time in the afternoon, I decided to check out the Arcata Marsh and Wildlife Sanctuary.  It's great when a community combines their wastewater treatment with creating wetlands for animals.  It's a win-win combination.  I got some good shots of the bird life making use of the sanctuary.  Here are photos of a white egret, green-winged teal, northern shoveler and bufflehead.





Looking forward to seeing more animals tomorrow and soaking in some historical stuff as I continue taking the slow road down to Los Angeles. I can't say I'm looking forward to the traffic and crazy drivers down there, though!

No comments: