Monday, April 17, 2017

I'm melting! I'm melting!

After somewhat of a disappointing two hours on the Queen Mary's Paranormal Ship Walk last night...no ghost sounds or sightings...I was kinda hoping they would visit my room. Well, maybe not. THAT would have been frightening! Anyway, it was time leave sunny southern California and continue on my road trip. As I headed east, I saw the rush hour traffic going west. A long continuous wave of cars. When I left Long Beach, temps were in the low 60s. By the time I got to Indio, CA, it was in the low 90s. It would stay that way for the rest of my day. Anything over 80 degrees is too hot for me and 90s is almost too much. I know, it's a dry heat, but that doesn't mean much to this Northwesterner.

Indio is home to Shield's Date Garden, THE place to get dates in California. They have over 10 varieties of dates and yes, date shakes, too! I've never had a date shake and I probably never will. It just doesn't sound that appetizing to me. I picked up some dates and a package of garlic pumpkin seeds and continued on.


My only sightseeing destination of the day was a little place about 15 miles north of Blythe, CA called the Blythe Intaglios. This particular site has three geoglyphs, which is the name for the gigantic figures of animals, people and even geometrical designs drawn into the ground. Of course, it's hard to truly see them from ground level, but it was still interesting.  I only looked at two of the intaglios...a human figure and some kind of animal.





When I crossed the border into Arizona, the speed limit changed from 70 to 75 mph...but, I stuck to the 70. The faster you go, the more gas you burn. Besides, it wasn't worth the few extra minutes saved going faster. And, of course, everyone was passing me. After driving all day, I rewarded myself with a Culver's dinner...ButterBurger and chocolate frozen custard! Tomorrow, it's supposed to be another scorcher, then cooler temps as I travel north. I can't wait!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Humans seem to be on a mission to destroy everything in nature - including ancient relic sites like this. Sad. :-(