Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Old West and old instruments

When I left my hotel in Tempe, AZ this morning, the temperature was already in the low 80s. It looked like it was going to be another scorcher. Because I really can't function in such heat, I decided it was prudent to take in a couple of museums. I started things off by visiting Western Spirit: Scottsdale's Museum of the West. This wonderful museum opened in 2015 and showcases exhibits on Western themed art and memorabilia.



There were a lot of impressive paintings and sculptures. I wasn't familiar with most of the artists, but I did recognize the names Frederic Remington and Charles Russell.



I was amazed that some of the oil paintings were so realistic, they looked like photos! I looked at the paintings very carefully and I could barely see brushstrokes.



There was a display of western themed items from a private collection that encompassed pretty much everything you could think of.





In the afternoon, the temps were again in the low 90s and I took refuge in the Musical Instruments Museum in Phoenix. This place is awesome! The biggest museum of its type in the world, there are thousands of instruments on display from many different countries.


What was also cool, you are issued audio players with headphones, and at each display, music is played. Not only do you get to hear a lot of the instruments you are viewing, you also get to experience the cultures of many nations. It was quite an education for me. It was interesting how musical instruments are made according to the materials you have available to you.








As I was walking through the Native American section, I came to the Nez Perce tribe and recognized one of the artists that made a particular flute. I actually knew Kevin Peters when I had a seasonal job at Nez Perce National Historic Park in Spalding, ID back in the mid-80s. Kevin is currently a ranger at the park.


I found myself less interested in the more modern musical stuff, especially the American and European sections. Still, there were some interesting things. Here are outfits worn by Alice Cooper and Roger Daltry. And, there were instruments played by Dizzy Gillespie and Steve Vai.





I was there over 2 1/2 hours looking and listening, and I could have been there even longer. Next time I visit the Phoenix area, I'll have to go back to this excellent museum again. I spent the rest of the afternoon traveling north where the temperature is much cooler than where I was this morning! Tomorrow, I'll be revisiting the Grand Canyon and doing a little hike, too. Looking forward to it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That black and white painting is AMAZING! I hope you had some sani-wipes before you tried blowing into all those wind instruments! :-P