Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Hollywood Bowl...and Conan!

Before I left home on my road trip, I thought about getting my Outback washed. But, with the continuous rain days, I felt it wouldn't be worth it...my car would get dirty again anyway. After six days on my current road trip, I knew it was finally time for that car wash. And in California, they have those wonderful HAND WASH facilities. Yes, they literally use soapy mitts to make sure every part of your vehicle is cleaned, unlike those automatic car washes. And, once the wash is done, there is someone to clean your windows inside and out, wipe down your dashboard and door sills and apply tire shine to the wheels. I visited such a place first thing this morning at my pit stop in Palmdale, CA. When I left the facility, my Outback looked awesome! Well worth the $22 I paid for the service.

From Palmdale, I drove to Hollywood to visit the world famous Hollywood Bowl. This natural amphitheater is the largest in the United States, seating about 18,000 people. First, I took some photos of the statue at the entrance called the Muse of Music. Then, I checked out the Hollywood Bowl Museum, which explained the history of this concert venue. There was a display of models showing how the bowl changed over the years, from 1926 to the present.



The small museum also showcased many of the artists that have performed at the Bowl, and there was a special exhibit on how aviators are educated to avoid the area during performances. Afterward, I went outside and walked through the amphitheater. I can imagine how cool it must be to attend concerts there!




In the afternoon, I headed over to Warner Brothers Studio to attend a live taping of the Conan show. It's one of the enjoyable things to do whenever I visit L.A. and it's FREE! While waiting to be checked in, I chatted with some nice people from Redding, CA and Philadelphia. It was their first Conan taping for both parties, and I assured them they would have a great time. I took pics of the Conan effigies in the waiting area and the studio gate.




As for the show itself, it was entertaining as usual. Conan O'Brien is such a master of comedy, and the show always has such an exciting atmosphere. The guests on the show were musician-actor Ludacris, actress Ariel Winter (Modern Family) and musical artists Future Islands. There was a short Easter themed skit featuring a guy dressed as Jesus Christ. He was sitting in the audience at the end of my row. It's possible I got on camera at the tail end of the piece...look out for me! Tomorrow, I'll be heading back to Warner Brothers for another live taping. The fun never ends!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What's up with those wood panel box areas towards the front of the stage? It looks like some kind of maze to walk through.