Sunday, March 17, 2013

A day at the Point

When I left Petaluma, CA this morning, I knew it was going to be a good day.  My main destination was Point Lobos State Reserve in Carmel.  On the way there, I stopped in the tiny town of San Juan Bautista, named after the old mission of the same name located there.  Mission San Juan Bautista was established by a Franciscan priest in 1797, who was then succeeded by the more famous Father Junipero Serra.  I recall learning about California's missions and Father Serra in grade school growing up in Riverside.


After a brief pit stop for gas in Monterey, I was going up a long incline when...yep, he's back again!  Mr. Service Engine Soon light!  I guess he wanted to go to Point Lobos, too.  Well, I guess I had no choice but to tolerate the light once again.  It being a Sunday, it was pretty busy at the reserve.  I had to drive pretty far in before I found a parking spot.  I had a quick lunch in the Blazer, then eagerly headed out to walk the trails. I hopped on the South Shore Trail and followed it north to the Sand Hill Trail.  I kept my eyes peeled to the water for any signs of sea otters.  I've seen them in zoos, but never in the wild.  Luck was with me as I spotted a couple in Sea Lion Cove.  You can barely make out what looks like a mother otter and her pup.


At times, it looked like the pup was lying on top of her.  Pretty awesome sight!  There were also harbor seals sunning themselves on the rocks.  I like taking photos of animals.  Here are a couple of a seal and a scrub jay, who got real close to me like it WANTED to be photographed! 



 But, the real draw at Point Lobos is the scenery.  There are so many great views of the ocean and rocky coastline, you can't really take a BAD photo.  The park is also home to the rare Monterey cypress trees which added to a picture perfect day.




I think I hiked about four miles today, but I barely noticed.  I was too busy admiring the views and taking pictures.  Tomorrow, I make the final driving leg south to Los Angeles.  I'll be spending most of the week there, with a lot of TV stuff on the agenda.  I'm ready to be entertained! 

No comments: