Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Robin! To the Bat Cave!

I didn't have much planned today, knowing I would spend most of it doing basically nothing.  First things first, I took my Blazer for a needed car wash, having accumulated road grime and dust from four days of driving.  I found a hand car wash not too far from my hotel, and they did an excellent job.  Afterward, I had a takeout brunch from Pink's Hot Dogs...chili dog!  I took my food to Bronson Canyon in Griffith Park, and ate in my Blazer.  The reason for my trip to the canyon was to check out Bronson Cave.  The exterior of the cave was used in the original Batman TV series.  It was just a short hike from the parking lot to the cave, which was actually pretty cool. 



It's kind of hard to really compare the two photos, given it has been about 45 years time between them, and things have changed a lot in the area.  But, you get the idea.  Another nice thing about the location...you have a great view of the Hollywood sign on the other side of the cave.


My big goal of the day was the Big Bang Theory live TV taping...rather, getting inside to see it.  I only managed to score a Stand By ticket, so I was in for a long wait this afternoon.  When I got to the studio, I made my way to the parking garage where attendees wait...and found there were already about 35 people there!  And, this was just after noon...a good four hours before the registration time!  I immediately bonded with a couple sitting next to me, and also chatted with a young woman from France, too.  We were all there for the same reason, after all...to see Big Bang Theory.  Gradually, more stand by people showed up, as well as those with the real tickets. 

At first, there was a feeling of optimism among everyone waiting.  But, around 5:30 pm, about ten people at the back of the line were given the bad news...there was no hope for them.  About 15 minutes later, another ten people were sent packing.  As 6:00 pm rolled around, it looked like they were going to let standby people in.  Optimism soon fizzled when only two people were initially chosen.  Then, everyone behind me was out of luck.  At the same time, everyone left...myself included...was told what happened next depended on whether more VIP invitees showed up.  Then, the final hammer fell, as only about five more people were admitted.  Rats!  So, all that waiting for nothing!  Ah, well...such as the nature of the Stand By ticket.  It was disappointing to say the least, but on the bright side, I still have more opportunities to attend live shows this week.  Tomorrow, I'll be attending the Marie (Osmond) show and Craig Ferguson, both with priority, guaranteed admittance tickets.  I'll say this for sure...no more Stand By tickets for me! 

After leaving the studio, I got caught in rush hour traffic.  It was then that I nearly collided with another car.  Things were stop and go along city streets.  Then, cars started speeding up, and I did, too.  Suddenly, the car in front of me slammed on its brakes.  It was unexpected, and I had very little time to react.  The car in front smoked its tires, and I could smell burnt rubber.  I braked hard, but I knew I couldn't stop in time...so, I made a split second decision and swerved around the car.  I took a huge chance doing this because there was traffic in the adjacent lane.  But, I figured sideswiping a car was preferable to rear-ending one, although I really wanted neither.  I immediately cut back to my own lane after clearing the car in front, and a car in the other lane managed to avoid hitting me.  For some reason, the lady in the car I drove around got ticked off.  Hey, would you prefer I hit you, or just cut in front of you?  I don't know if she really knew how close a call it was.  Strangely, afterward, I was feeling rather cool and collected, as opposed to shaken and rattled.  Maybe it was because my reflexes just took over, and I performed a pretty impressive maneuver.  Blazers are not the most maneuverable of vehicles, at least compared to cars, so I was very lucky.  Needless to say, I'll be driving with greater care while I'm in L.A.  No demolition derbies, please! 

No comments: