Friday, March 29, 2013

Observations from the road

Travel day.  Drove all day long...over nine hours on the road.  Strangely, I saw a lot of rodents along the way...squirrel, ground squirrel, chipmunk, even a very young rabbit.  I came very close to running over a grey squirrel.  I saw it sitting on the side of the road, and just when I drove up to it, the critter darted in front of me.  I swore, but there was nothing I could do.  Thankfully, it was right between my wheels as I passed over it, and in my side mirror, I observed the squirrel running off the road.  If squirrels have nine lives, it just used one today. 

As I traveled north out of California, the speed limit on U.S. 395 changed from 65 mph to a snail paced 55 crossing into Oregon.  I'm not really the speeding type of driver, but I allowed myself a few MPH over because it was SO SLOW!  Every car that came up behind me passed me, probably going 65 mph. Driving the miles of totally straight road actually made me sleepy, due to the slow pace.  At least the scenery was interesting.  It went from forest, to the alkaline Goose Lake, to sand dunes, and finally sagebrush.  That's what I love about U.S. 395...you can't beat the view along the way. 

I stopped for gas in the afternoon, and I had to remind myself...they pump the gas for you in Oregon.  Actually, I really like the convenience...no fuss, no muss.  And, I never hesitate to ask to get my windshield cleaned...yes, they'll do that for you, too.  In fact, there has been a few times when I didn't even have to ask.  It kind of reminds me of the old days when there used to be real service stations.  You rarely see that anymore.  Tomorrow is my last fun day...I'll be doing a national park.  Then, the drive home on Sunday.  I can't wait to sleep in my own bed again...and hug my cat. 

No comments: