Saturday, March 23, 2013

Africa lives...here

Well, it was fun Los Angeles, but the road calls...at least to San Diego.  I spent the day at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park in Escondido.  At one time, it was known as the San Diego Wild Animal Park, but they changed the name a few years ago.  The main goal of this zoo is to breed animals for the world famous San Diego Zoo, and species conservation. I like animals, and I like to visit zoos to see animals.  I saw a lot of nice animals at this zoo, and I took some very nice pictures of some very nice animals.  After you see these photos, maybe you'll agree these are nice animals.

  

This is Monroe, a one and a half year old gorilla.  Isn't he cute?  And, look at the sweet male lion licking his lady.  She seems to be enjoying the pampering.

  

The zoo has a wonderful butterfly exhibit...beautiful live butterflies flying all over the place!  But, the highlight of the day was feeding nectar to the lorikeets.  I literally had them feeding out of my hand! 


 
I ended my day at the zoo with the Cheetah Encounter.  I opted to pay extra to get the special VIP close up look at a cheetah and a caracal, too.  All the zoo visitors also got to watch the cheetah run...awesome sight! 



Even though the regular San Diego Zoo is terrific, I would definitely visit the Safari Park again in the future. Feeding the lorikeets is definitely addicting...I did it twice!  Tomorrow, I'll doing museums in Balboa Park. Feed the mind.

No comments: