Saturday, March 16, 2013

Rock of ages

I slept like a log last night, fitting considering the place of interest I planned to visit today.  As I headed south out of Grants Pass this morning, there were low lying clouds in the sky.  But, they soon gave way to sunshine.  At the California agriculture inspection station just south of the border with Oregon, I fully planned to declare my bag of carrots.  But, the lady at the booth just waved me through.  I had an early lunch at the In N Out Burger in Redding...double double, no fries.  After continuing south on I-5, it was about an hour later that I realized my friend Mr. Service Engine Soon had left me without even saying goodbye.  No matter.  I fully expect him to show up again at the next steep grade.

Like yesterday, I drove most of the day, but I did spend a little time checking out a place in Calistoga.  The Petrified Forest has the largest collection of petrified trees in the world.  As I walked the half mile trail, I admired the petrified logs on display.  It was hard to believe I was looking at rock...they looked like regular fallen wood logs.


All of the petrified trees in the forest are redwoods, with the exception of this pine.  Notice it looks much different...and rather less impressive...than the redwood trees.  There was also an unusual example of a live tree growing within a petrified log.



Tomorrow, I head over to the California coast to do a little hiking.  Weather is supposed to be cool and sunny...just the way I like it!  Should get some great photos. 

No comments: