Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The biggest tree in the world

I had a wonderful day at Sequoia National Park.  The temperature was cool throughout the day...mid-40s...but, that was a relief after a week of warm days in southern California.  This was not the first time I had seen sequoia trees.  A few years ago, I visited the Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias in Yosemite National Park.  I was eager to see more of these majestic trees.  As I drove into the park, it was hard to miss the imposing sight of Moro Rock.  It was on my list of things to do today...climb it, that is.


In some ways, Moro Rock is like Half Dome, Jr...not quite as tall as the famous Yosemite monolith, and certainly easier to ascend.  The access to the top of Moro Rock consists of a series of stairs with rock walls and railings.  Almost 800 feet and 400 steps, it provides quite a workout, but the payoff is impressive if skies are clear. 


As I climbed up the steps, the view was amazing.  When I reached the top, I was the only one up there.  It wasn't all that scary with the railing and all.  Here's what it looked like, plus a shot from the end of the rock.



Down the road from Moro Rock, I came across a clump of sequoias called the Parker Group.  You can see the size comparison with my Blazer parked near the trees.


The largest tree in the park...and in the world...due to its massive trunk is the one named General Sherman.  I saw this one plus the third largest tree, the General Grant.



Tomorrow, I'll be going to see the real Half Dome...at Yosemite National Park!  As I stated, I had been there before, but it was mostly taking photos of the beautiful scenery.  This time, I'm hoping to do a little hiking.  I just hope the nice weather holds out...there's afternoon rain in the forecast. 

No comments: