Saturday, March 30, 2013

Where time stands still

Today was the last sightseeing day of my road trip.  It took about two hours drive to reach my destination... John Day Fossil Beds.  This park has one of the greatest collection of fossils and prehistoric animal bones in the world.  I started things off by visiting the park's Thomas Condon Paleontology Center.  They had on display many examples of what researchers have collected from the fossil beds.  I thought the petrified dung balls were particularly interesting! 



I then spent the rest of my day at the park hiking a few short trails.  The Island In Time Trail located in the Sheep Rock Unit meanders through a canyon with beautiful rock formations.  Scientists have collected fossils in this location for over 100 years!


At the Clarno Unit, I hiked a couple of trails.  The Trail of the Fossils is the only trail where actual fossils can be seen in the rocks.  Here are some cool sycamore leaf imprints.


The final trail of the day for me was the Arch Trail.  I walked up a steep rocky path to see a small arch created by erosion.


There was one other section of the park, the Painted Hills Unit, but time was short and it was also rather warm...the rocks really radiate the heat!  So, I called it a day and made my way to the final pit stop.  And, thus ends my road trip...I'll make it official by driving home tomorrow.  It's been fun.

No comments: