Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Animals...and a hobbit

Last day in Oregon.  I headed south from Coos Bay to one of my favorite places to get wild... West Coast Game Park Safari.  If you've read my previous posts, you'll know about my priceless experiences interacting with their animals.  I was hoping for something new, and I guess I got it, but it was just OK.  Right off the bat, I got to pet a beautiful young bobcat.  He was constantly moving around so I consider myself lucky to get one good pic of him!


Next, was a caracal.  I had petting one of these in the past, but I never get tired of admiring the big cats.  At least I got a little extra interaction this time. The caracal rubbed against my leg a couple of times, just like a pet cat would!


They brought out a black bear cub, which squalled to get its bottle.  Again, I was only allowed to pet it, which included touching its back paw.  The foot pad was very soft, and the fur, very rough.  The cats were definitely softer!


There were also several smaller animals that we were allowed to pet.  A gorgeous red fox, a cream-colored apricot skunk, a opossum and ferrets.  The latter I actually held, which was cool.  I wouldn't mind owning a ferret someday.


Walking through the zoo, looking at the animal exhibits, I came across a male peacock trying to impress a female with his colorful display.  It didn't appear impressed.  I was impressed by the tiger.



In the afternoon, I drove a couple of hours to the Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park.  There are many parks in the Redwood National and State Parks system, and this park is one of them.  I didn't have a lot of time, so I opted to hike some short trails, forming a 3-mile loop.  The high point of the hike was seeing what is known as Big Tree...the biggest redwood in the park.  Big Tree is approximately 1500 years old!  But, there are many other impressive redwoods.  Walking among the giants made me feel like a hobbit...very small! 


Tomorrow, I'm planning an easy day.  I'll be driving all morning to San Francisco, then play it by ear.  I'm thinking of walking the Golden Gate Bridge...something I've never done before.  Only three more days till I see John Ondrasik! 

No comments: