Monday, April 21, 2014

Behind the magic

I only had one item on my agenda today...the Paramount Pictures VIP studio tour!  Now, I've done this tour before about three years ago.  I had been hoping to attend the Jimmy Kimmel Show, but I never got past the wait list for a ticket.  So, this tour was my fall back plan.  As usual, I got stuck in some rush hour traffic.  A 15-minute trip in ideal conditions took me a half hour, and that was with my GPS taking me on an alternate route.  When I got to the studios, I was allowed to park on site in their visitor's lot...regular tour attendees have to park outside across the street.

I took the tour with five other people.  There was a family of three from Germany, and two women from Australia and Switzerland, respectively.  Our tour guide Danny was very pleasant.  He started us at the Bronson gate entrance...actor Charles Bronson actually took his stage name from this gate and not vice versa.


Right next to the gate there was a special prop item...one of four benches used in the movie Forrest Gump.  I had just watched that movie last week!


The tour of the studio was pretty typical, although more in depth compared to the regular tour.  We were taken behind the scenes to see the different departments responsible for making TV shows and movies look so real.  Props, wood working, signs, cloth work...a lot of hard working men and women.  Here's the biggest copier you'll ever see!  It can handle items up to two inches thick, such as plywood, and put an image or graphic on it!  


We were shown the studio archives, which stores all the movies ever made by Paramount.  Traditional acetate film, videotape, discs and the newest medium, digital files.


Midway through the tour, we were treated to a catered lunch, provided by the studio's executive chef.  It was pretty tasty...I especially liked the dessert oatmeal raisin cookies!  After our meal break, we were shown the back lot with streets and buildings simulating New York City, Chicago and Boston.  Finally, we visited the prop building, which houses iconic items such as these shoes used in Forrest Gump!  There was also a room full of interesting props from different movies.  See anything you recognize?



Our tour came to an end with a unique view of the Hollywood sign.  Paramount is the only studio that has such a view.  Before I left, I got a free movie poster...I chose Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones.  I also made a purchase in the studio store...a cool Paramount Studios hoodie.  Tomorrow, I have another big day.  I'll be attending The Queen Latifah Show with a particularly special guest.  I can't wait! 


No comments: