Sunday, April 20, 2014

Good food, great cause, awesome music

Big day today!  Driving to Agoura Hills, CA for the Kids Helping Kids benefit concert featuring John Ondrasik...better known as Five For Fighting.  On the way south from my hotel pit stop in King City, I stopped for an early lunch at In N Out Burger.  Boy, that double double (burger) tasted good!


I also stopped in Santa Barbara to visit their Saturday farmer's market to pick up some pistachios for my friend who is caring for my cat while I'm road tripping.  He likes pistachios...my cat does not.  I checked into my hotel early so I could freshen up and have dinner before the concert.  Since John lives near Agoura Hills, I figured he could recommend a good, inexpensive restaurant for me.  So I asked him on Twitter, and John was kind enough to suggest Hugo's.  I took his advice and the food WAS good!  I had the grilled salmon with grape tomatoes, turmeric rice, sauteed garlic spinach and a side of tomatillo-avocado sauce. I really enjoyed my dinner.  

Following my meal, I drove to Agoura High School's Performing Arts Education Center, site of tonight's concert.  I was hoping to meet John sometime while I was there.  I had a gift for him...and his wife Carla.  A few years ago, I had given him a bottle of merlot in a UCLA Bruins wine bag.  It was greatly appreciated, especially the unique wine bag...John is a UCLA alumnus.  This time, I didn't have such a fancy bag, but I DID have another nice bottle of wine...British Columbia ice wine!  Before the show, I said HI to my friend Lynne.  She's also a big Five For Fighting fan.  We weren't sitting together, though.  I was front row orchestra, and Lynne was in the upper level.  While I was waiting for the concert to begin, I spotted Carla in the lower level...along with her kids and John's parents.  Great!  Even if I don't get a chance to give the wine to John, I can at least give it to her!  

The night included videos explaining what Kids Helping Kids was all about, and performances by Austin Armstrong and Clay Priskorn...both former Agoura Hills students.  During the intermission, I got a chance to talk to Carla.  I presented her with the wine, and told Carla about my road trip.  It was nice to talk to her...it had been a few years since I had last seen her at a Five For Fighting show.  Then, the main event!  Now, I had heard cameras were not allowed in the auditorium.  But, once John started his performance, I noticed a couple of people in the front row sneaking video with their smartphones.  So, I joined them, trying to sneak some photos.  I wasn't really successful, but that was OK.  I was there to see John sing!  After three years, I was eager to see him do his thing!  

What makes John so great a performer is not only his music, but his STORIES!  The stories behind the music...what inspires him, how his music affects people and how his songs are used by others in bigger and better ways.  One of the high points of the night was when John's daughter Olivia took the stage.  She sang, and John played the piano...and sang a little backup, too!  Here is John's playlist for the concert:

100 Years (piano)
Chances (guitar)
'65 Mustang (guitar)
What If (piano)
Superman (piano)
Stand Up (piano)
I God Made You (guitar)
I Just Love You (piano)
Count On Me (piano); Bruno Mars cover performed by Olivia Ondrasik
World (piano)



It was a fantastic night of music, and for a great cause.  I hung around afterward, and Carla told me John would be coming out to say HI.  I was happy to hear that!  I got a chance to talk to Olivia, and I complimented her on her great singing!  When he finally showed up, we had a nice chat and I got a much appreciated photo with John.  In all, I had a awesome time, and it was so nice to meet Carla and John again.  


Before I left, I inquired about the banner used to advertise the benefit concert.  It had a big photo of John on it, and I wanted it for my Five For Fighting collection.  There was one still attached to a table in the silent auction area.  Actually, Carla surprised me by snagging the other one that had been on a wall in the lobby.  Carla said she used such posters to decorate walls at home!  One of the event organizers agreed to let me have it if I made a donation at the kid's charity site...I promised I would!  This is what the banner looks like...it's a pretty big one, too!  Now, I'll have to figure out which wall I will display it on! 


Tomorrow is Easter, and my friend Lynne invited me to her house for dinner, which was very sweet of her!  I'll be changing my itinerary to accommodate the get together, but it's a good change! 

No comments: