Saturday, April 26, 2014

Back in the Northwest

I did a lot of driving today.  It was such a relief returning to the cooler temperatures of the Pacific Northwest.  Leaving Paradise, CA, I headed north and only stopped briefly for lunch.  But, I had time in the afternoon to visit one interesting place.  The Cascades Raptor Center in Eugene, OR provides refuge to birds of prey that are unable to return to the wild due to illness, injury or human interaction.  The facility rehabilitates the birds, and educates the general public to appreciate these magnificent animals.  Visitors can freely walk among the enclosures to look at the raptors. Taking photos was a bit of a challenge due to the protective grating forming the walls of the enclosures.  Still, I had some success.  Here are photos of northern spotted owl, barred owl, great horned owl and burrowing owl.





Many of the birds at the center have injured wings that prevent them from flying properly.  Others had eyes removed due to damage caused by accidents.  Birds that cannot fly or are blind can never been released into the wild.  There were several falcons on display...peregrine, prairie and gyrfalcon.




The peregrine falcon once had a private owner, but can't be set free because it's too imprinted on humans.  The facility also has eagles and hawks, like this northern harrier.  I really enjoyed looking at the beautiful birds, although it's sad that they will live their lives in captivity.


Well, my road trip has just about come to an end.  Tomorrow, is my last day and I'll spend it driving home.  It's been fun and I had a great vacation.  After I settle back into the old routine, I might find the motivation to post some additional facts and tidbits from this trip. 

No comments: