Monday, April 14, 2014

It's the happy moments

Sound familiar?  It's the happy moments along the way that in the end, make it okay.  That's the final lyrics of one of my favorite Five For Fighting songs, Nobody.  Tonight was the final show of Barcelona's 2014 West Coast Tour with Mackintosh Braun.  I went to the venue... Mississippi Studios...early.  As I hung around outside for awhile, I did a lot of people watching.  The club is in an interesting part of Portland, called the Boise District.  There are many restaurants and art-related shops along that street, which attracts a mix of many different types of people.


I was standing there when suddenly a door to the club opened and singer-songwriter and friend of Barcelona, Jesse Morrow stepped out.  When he saw me, he said HI, and we chatted a bit.  I've met Jesse at a few previous Barcelona concerts and he always remembers me.  Jesse went back inside, then one half of Mackintosh Braun, Ben Braun came outside.  He immediately remembered me from somewhere, and I told him I was at last week's Barcelona show.  Apparently, Ben noticed me standing at the front of the stage, I think.  I told Ben I was there to see Barcelona, and he thought that was cool.  I also told him that I thought his music was pretty good, and Ben appreciated the compliment.  After he walked away, Jesse came back out...he was putting stuff in Barcelona's van...and we talked some more.  Suddenly, I heard someone call out my name, and I turned around to see Brian Fennell exiting the building.  Brian was happy to see me, and the feeling was mutual.  I let him go because he and the rest of the band were doing their pre-show sound checks.

Being there so early, I was able to score the front of the line getting in.  When doors opened, I announced to the door guy that I was on the Barcelona guest list.  I made my way upstairs to the balcony seating area.  Finding it rather difficult to take really good photos at the Seattle show from in front of the stage...I was too close...I decided to try my hand from a different location.  I had a good view of the stage from the balcony, and it wasn't too far.  Unlike the previous shows on Barcelona's tour, Mackintosh Braun would be opening rather than vice versa.  That's because Portland is the group's home base, and it was only right that they take top billing.

Even though I didn't get to hear as many Barcelona songs as the opener, I drank in every one of them.  They played eight songs, and all of them were off their new album, The Melodrama.  I love hearing the new ones!  Here is the set list for the night:

Paper Lion
Sick
Diamond and Silver
On/Off
Falling In Love
Drop Everything
Cure
Strange Way
Background

Frustratingly, I wasn't able to get many good photos at all.  My camera just can't handle too much movement on stage.  This shot of Brian and a group shot are a couple of the best.  I also took a few video clips, which should produce some still shots.



After the show, I waited around while the Barcelona guys broke down their equipment and loaded everything into their van.  When they came back inside, I immediately got to talking with Rhett Stonelake, Barcelona's drummer.  You certainly learn a lot about each other by just conversing!  I complimented Branden Cate on his keyboard playing, which he greatly appreciated.  Being the newest member of the band, Branden has certainly established himself as a very competent keyboard player.  You can just tell that he loves playing those keys! 

Before leaving, I wished them a safe drive home...they were leaving for the return trip to Seattle tonight.  Likewise, the guys wished me a fun and safe road trip.  They are so sweet!  Like I said before, it's the happy moments!  Tomorrow, I head on down the Oregon Coast for some surf and turf.  Not the food, but the scenery!  I hope rain doesn't put a damper on things...it's in the forecast.  One thing is for sure...Barcelona's The Melodrama will keep my spirits high! 

No comments: