Friday, April 25, 2014

Winter's last gasp

When I left my hotel in Paradise, CA this morning it was a bit overcast with a brisk chilly breeze.  I had seen on the TV weather report there might be rain or snow in the area, but there was none of either.  Just a couple of miles out of town, I drove on a gravel and dirt road to Travertine Hot Springs.  I had read it there were natural hot springs which was also popular for soaking in.  When I got there, there was no one around...no surprise since it was early morning and cold.  In other words, I didn't have to worry about finding naked people in the springs...I had read about that, too.  Warm water bubbled out of a small hole and filled the soaking pool next to the road.  I think there were other pools, but I didn't look for them. 



As I surveyed the surrounding area, there was evidence that the single bubbling spring had not been the only geothermal activity.  In the distance, I could see it had snowed up in the mountains, and there were still some ominous looking clouds in the sky.  


I left the hot springs and drove north, then west.  As I climbed into the Sierra Nevadas, a few flakes of snow fell from the skies.  It turned to a little rain drizzle, but nothing big.  But, as I turned onto U.S. Hwy 50, everything changed.  The snow was coming down, and I immediately came to a checkpoint.  Chains required or 4WD with snow tires.  I had the latter, so I was waved through, but there were other vehicles including semi-trucks chaining up.  The speed limit was only 25 mph, and as I joined the caravan climbing up to the summit, the scenery turned white...on the ground and on the trees.  The road was not too bad, though, and after descending, the snow turned into a steady rain.  I stopped for gas in Kyburz, and also cleaned snow off my Blazer that had accumulated on my front lights and below my wipers.

When I reached Placerville, I had what would probably be my last In N Out burger of my road trip.  Then, I traveled a short distance to Marshall Gold Discovery State Historic Park.  This park tells the story of how James Marshall discovered gold in the area, sparking the famous California Gold Rush.  I walked through the grounds, looking at the outdoor exhibits including an example of a prospector's cabin.


One of the reasons I put this park on my itinerary was because it had a designated area along the American River to pan for gold.  I had even bought a gold panning kit for this purpose.  Unfortunately, it was raining pretty good, and although I had a rain coat it wouldn't have prevented the rest of me from getting wet.  And, it hard to use a gold pan holding an umbrella.  So, reluctantly, I left the park disappointed.  Tomorrow is my last full day of my road trip.  I'll be doing a lot of driving, with one item on the agenda if things work out.  I can't wait to see my cat and sleep in my own bed again! 

No comments: