Friday, October 26, 2012

A beary good day

When I left Arcata, CA this morning, it was overcast, but not raining.  I continued on my road trip, traveling on the scenic U.S. 101, hugging the Pacific Ocean to the west, and passing through redwood forests to the north.  My single destination of the day... West Coast Game Park in Bandon, OR.  If you've read my previous blog posts, you'll know that this is not my first visit to this unique zoo.  I've had the pleasure of interacting with young tigers, lions, black panthers and a cougar kitten.  I was looking forward another rewarding experience.

I got to the game park just in time to see their six-month-old cougar kitten.  She was too big to get too close, but I was able to pet her. Such a sweetie! 


There were not very many visitors there, so we didn't have to wait long for the next animal one-on-one.  The animal handler brought out an adorable black bear cub.  The cub was making the strangest purring sound while she was sucking on the handler's wrist...it sounded like a rickety engine!


Finally, the handler brought out some smaller animals.  I got to hold a young opossum and a ferret, and petted a white skunk and a raccoon.  The opossum was so soft...the others, not so much so.  But, it was a joy to interact with them.  I love animals!



Afterward, I walked around and looked at the other animals at the zoo.  I'm always on the lookout for photo moments that are out of the ordinary.  I found a couple nice ones...a dozing goat who appeared to be smiling, and a red fox who found a sly way to eat his food.



Tomorrow is my last full day of my road trip.  All good things must come to an end, and this road trip was full of good things.  But, I miss my cat and my own bed.  I'm ready for the home stretch. 

No comments: