Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Planes and prison life

It was 30 degrees in McCall, ID when I woke up this morning...frosty!  As I was loading my stuff in the Blazer, I noticed my right front tire was low.  After filling up the tank, I checked the air pressure and found it was VERY low!  Hmm.  I refilled the tire and made a note to keep an eye on it.  My plans for the day were to drive down to the Boise area and spend the afternoon leisurely exploring a couple of historical places of interest.

After a tasty Thai lunch in Nampa, I visited the nearby Warhawk Air Museum.  This museum is devoted to preserving history...aircraft, memorabilia and artifacts from previous wars and the military.  As I entered the main building, I was immediately drawn to a Curtiss P-40 Warhawk in beautiful condition.


Most impressive about the museum was the huge collection of military memorabilia donated by veterans and their families.  All that material had stories behind them, which made it more meaningful compared to most museum displays.  I spent a good two hours at the facility before heading out to my other destination of the day...the Old Idaho Penitentiary State Historic Site.  This interesting place is one of four territorial prisons in the country open to the public.  I walked around the prison grounds, checking out the old buildings and the secrets within.



Of particular interest...in a ghoulish way...was the death row building.  Within, the prisoners awaiting execution were housed, as well as the gallows.  I wonder if there are any ghosts wandering around?



Tomorrow, I have a long drive ahead of me, but will (hopefully) have time to do a little hiking and exploring.  Thankfully, I'll be traveling back to the Pacific time zone and I'll gain an hour back.  Now, if only the rain holds off...

No comments: