Wednesday, October 17, 2012

California Screamin'...literally

Had computer issues last night so blogging yesterday's activities today.  I spent Tuesday at Disney's California Adventure...my first visit to this theme park.  While walking to Paradise Pier, we had the good fortune of encountering Donald Duck along the way.  I got my pic taken with the sometimes angry duck, although Donald seemed to be in a good mood this morning.


After an entertaining time on the Toy Story Midway Mania, we headed over to the highly anticipated Twilight Zone Tower of Terror.  I had ridden this one back in 1991 during my only visit to Disney World.  I loved it!  The ride was one of the most exhilarating I had ever experienced, and I was looking forward to reprising that feeling.  And, I wasn't disappointed!  My companions and I ended up riding it two times in a row!  The feeling of utter weightlessness when the "elevator car" dropped took my breath away, and I couldn't help but scream my lungs out!

Psyched, I was next ready for my biggest challenge of the day...riding the California Screamin' roller coaster.  Now, I have ridden very few coasters in my lifetime and I wasn't quite sure what to expect with this one.  I was told by my companion that it was smoother than say Space Mountain, but I wasn't sure how my stomach would handle it.  It didn't take me long to find out.  Blasting off from it's stationary position, the coaster started going up and down, twisting and turning through turns.  I felt queasy almost immediately, and it only got worse as the ride progressed.  It was a good thing I hadn't eaten anything yet...a necessary precaution when dealing with questionable amusement park rides.  After disembarking, I was just wiped out.  My stomach was turning flip flops and it literally took about three hours for me to recover.  I also swore I would never again ride a roller coaster...or any ride resembling one...for the rest of my life.

I managed to nibble at my lunch...I was still feeling a bit queasy...then took it easy with some tamer stuff, like Ariel's Undersea Adventure and Monsters, Inc.: Mike & Sulley To The Rescue.  We also watched a sneak preview of the upcoming Tim Burton film, Frankenweenie in 3D.  It was really good, and even better, there was a special exhibit of Tim Burton's drawings and the actual models used in the stop motion movie.



My day ended with a spectacular show called World Of Color.  The showcase consisted of music, video, water fountains, lights, lasers...even fire!  It was truly the best of its kind that I've ever seen!  I was tired but happy as I trudged on over to the shuttle bus station.  There were about 25 people in line ahead of me, and another 25 lining up behind me.  When the shuttle arrived, it parked a little further ahead than expected.  But, there was no rush to the door...everyone waited patiently for their turn, despite the fact it was evident everyone wouldn't be getting on.  No one complained as the driver had to take extra time to load a wheelchair passenger.  As we pulled out of the parking lot, the driver began to sing over the intercom, "If you're happy and you know it clap your hands," which put everyone is a good mood.  That positive feeling continued when the driver switched to "It's A Small World."  It was a fitting way to end the day.  Disneyland has that way of spreading happiness in everyone! 

No comments: