Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Pebbles? No, more like Barney Rubble!

After a pleasant pit stop in Monterey, CA, I didn't want to leave without driving the famous 17-Mile Drive.  This road travels through a gated community at Pebble Beach, and non-residents pay a toll fee to drive through.  But, it's worth the price as visitors are treated to magnificent ocean views and many photo opportunities.


Pebbles?  More like rubble and boulders!  The Pebble Beach Resort is home to the world class golf courses, Pebble Beach, Spyglass Hill and The Links at Spanish Bay.  Picturesque scenery while you're playing the challenging holes.  Here's the 3rd hole at Spanish Bay.


While I was taking photos of the rocky shores, someone was trying to get my attention. This Brewer's Blackbird kept strutting back and forth on the fence rail, as if to tell me something.  Sorry, no feeding the animals!


No visit to Pebble Beach would be complete without seeing its biggest tourist attraction...The Lone Cypress.  This Monterey Cypress tree has been sitting on its precarious perch for over 250 years.  I think it would be hard to take a bad picture of this view!


Although not as well known, down the road from The Lone Cypress is what is known as The Ghost Tree.  The name comes from it's bleached white appearance.  I think it makes just as beautiful a photo.


In the afternoon, I drove to Salinas to visit the John Steinbeck Center.  This museum celebrates the work of this illustrious American author.  I think pretty much everyone has read a Steinbeck novel, or perhaps seen a movie based on his books.  The Grapes Of Wrath, The Pearl, Travels with Charley, and my personal favorite, Of Mice And Men.  Guess what book this exhibit is about?


If you said My Friend Flicka...wrong!  Actually, that would be The Red Pony, a story that didn't end well for young Jody.  But, it was an example of Steinbeck writing about life and the human condition. Not everyone lives happily ever after. 

So, now I'm in San Francisco for one day of fun...and sourdough bread. Only five more days left in my road trip!  I'm starting to miss my own bed...and my cat. 

No comments: