Sunday, October 14, 2012

Cats and Pat (Nixon, that is)

I had a pleasant overnight stay at Lone Pine, CA.  And, from my hotel, this is the view that greeted me this morning...the majestic Mt. Whitney.  This peak is the tallest in the lower 48 states at almost 14,500 feet elevation!


I continued driving south to the town of Rosamond to visit the Exotic Feline Breeding Compound's (EFCC) Feline Breeding Center, also known as The Cat House.  This facility is a breeding zoo and research center for the world's endangered felines...and we're not talking about your domestic cats!  I saw a lot of beautiful large...and small...cats.  At one point, one of the workers fed some of them a hard-boiled egg treat.  You can tell the cats look forward to it!



Today was my first opportunity on my road trip to eat at In N Out Burger...and I took advantage of it!  That double double sure tasted good!  After lunch, I drove down to Yorba Linda, home of the Richard Nixon Presidential Library and Museum.


I really enjoyed my visit to the museum.  They had a wonderful special exhibit on former First Lady Pat Nixon.  She lived an extraordinary life and was one of the most loved and most influential of our First Ladies.  Of course, there were also exhibits on Richard Nixon.  His life, his political career...and Watergate.  Outside the main building were the grave sites of Richard and Pat Nixon, a Presidential helicopter, and the actual boyhood home of our 37th President.  One item that was particularly interesting...at least to me...was the crate that held one of the giant pandas that was a gift from China after the president visited the country in 1972.



So, for the next several days, I'm staying in Anaheim, with plans to have some fun at this place called Disneyland.  Perhaps you've heard of it?  It's been 17 years since I last visited the park...a visit that has been long overdue.  Temperatures are supposed to be in the 90s, but I won't worry about it too much...I'll be too busy having fun! 

No comments: