Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!

I thought it was going to rain this morning, so I nixed by planned ferry trip to Angel Island to wait for a better day.  Well, it ended up NOT raining, but I still enjoyed my alternate plan.  In the morning, I visited Fort Point National Historic Site, located at the mouth of San Francisco Bay, under the Golden Gate Bridge. Fort Point was built around the time of the Civil War to protect California against naval attack.  When the Golden Gate Bridge was constructed, an arch was created in the bridge design to preserve the historic building.



I drove to Fisherman's Wharf for lunch and to do a little shopping at Boudin Bakery.  Then, I spent the rest of the afternoon at the San Francisco Zoo.  This zoo didn't have as many animals as a lot of other big city zoos, but those that were there had very large and spacious living quarters...a big plus in my book.  I got some great photos of the lions and tigers and bears...oh, my!




Of course, there were other animals besides those three species.  I was fortunate to be there for the afternoon feeding of the penguins.  And, who DOESN'T love koalas?  This one looks like a big, cuddly, adorable stuffed animal...don't you want to take it home?


At one point during my zoo visit, I was approaching the kangaroo exhibit when I came across an older woman and two young children.  I overheard her tell the boy, who appeared to be about 7 or 8 years old that "it" might kill him.  She called out to me and asked what it was that the boy had.  Turns out the "it" was a colorful hairy caterpillar, which was perched on a leaf he was holding.  I reassured the lady that it wouldn't hurt him...unless maybe if he tried to eat it!  Some caterpillars CAN be poisonous!  I was joking, of course, and I told the boy that the caterpillar would grow up to be a butterfly.  The lady felt better and continued to let the boy play with the caterpillar.  It was a lighthearted moment, made more fitting, considering we were at a facility that nurtures education and conservation of animals. 

No comments: