Sunday, October 21, 2012

Butterfly misses and cat kisses

It was raining lightly as I drove north out of Los Angeles, but it soon gave way to sunshine.  I traveled up U.S. 101, making my first stop just north of Santa Barbara.  I took a steep curvy road to see the Chumash Painted Cave State Historic Park.  Actually, it was just a short stone staircase to just one cave.  The cave drawings within were pretty impressive, though.  They had a steel fence covering the mouth of the cave to protect the paintings, which is a good thing.  Sometimes, people can be so destructive.


I continued north and made my second stop at Goleta, CA and the Coronado Butterfly Preserve.  This natural area is set aside to provide a wintering ground for monarch butterflies.  But, as I walked through the preserve, I saw only a few monarchs flitting above the eucalyptus trees.  They were too far away to get any photos, although I DID get one of a common buckeye resting among the ice plants.


As I was walking back, I spotted a black and white cat stalking something in a field.  A hawk was circling overhead, perhaps contemplating making the cat its next meal.  But, it flew off, and the cat soon lost interest in what it had seen.  I called out to it and the cat came over to me, meowing.  Such a friendly kitty, and it made me miss my own Kimi, who I left back at home.


I kept driving until I reached Morro Bay State Park.  I checked out their Museum of Natural History, but it was pretty small and didn't take long to see everything.  With extra time on my hands, I decided to walk the boardwalks of El Moro Elfin Forest Natural Area in nearby Los Osos.  This preserve overlooks the Morro Bay estuary, and is within sight of the local landmark, Morro Rock.


As I walked along the boardwalks, I saw the trees that gave the preserve its name.  I'm not sure what kind they are and what the mossy-looking stuff is, but they DO give the trees a fairy-like appearance.


Tomorrow, it looks like rain.  That would put a damper on my plan to visit some state parks.  I'll be looking for some indoor alternatives should the weather turn soggy. 

No comments: