Thursday, October 25, 2012

The joys of Jelly Belly

I left San Francisco this morning, after briefly getting caught up in rush hour traffic.  I traveled east over the Oakland Bay Bridge to Fairfield, CA...home of the Jelly Belly factory!  Who hasn't heard of Jelly Belly?  It was president Ronald Reagan's candy of choice.  They make a bazillion flavors...everyone has a favorite.  I took advantage of their free factory tour, which showed how the special jelly beans are made.


As our tour guide explained the process of making Jelly Belly candy, there was a lot of activity on the factory floor.  From making the flavorful jelly center, putting the hard coating around it, polishing it up, and finally packaging the finished product.  It was all going on below us.  There was a pleasant odor of sweetness in the air, with the addition of lemon scent as we entered the room where they put the candy coating on the jelly center.  One part of the tour I REALLY liked...getting samples of jelly beans throughout the tour!  And, as we were leaving, everyone got a bag of Jelly Belly candy!  Of course, my visit was not complete without making some purchases in the Jelly Belly store!  The biggest problem was deciding what to buy!  If for some reason, you're not sure about a flavor, they even have a special counter where you can try samples of everything! If you ever get a chance, check out the Jelly Belly factory...you won't regret it! 

The rest of my day was spent driving.  At one point, I stopped for gas in Williams, CA.  I noticed the vehicle next to me had British Columbia license plates and belonged to a couple of senior citizens.  I asked the lady if they were traveling north, like myself, but she said they were going south...snowbirds seeking a warmer place to spend the winter.  She noticed the "I ♥ Barcelona" sticker in my back window, and stated she had a couple of friends who were just there.  I had to tell her that it wasn't Barcelona the city...rather, Barcelona the band.  Hey, whatever works!  

Tomorrow, I visit one of my most favorite places to see animals...West Coast Game Park in Bandon, OR.  I'm hoping to have yet another unique experience...I do every time I go there.  

No comments: