Saturday, October 20, 2012

Enlightenment at The Getty

I woke up to overcast skies and a light mist falling.  Not that impressive to this Northwesterner used to REAL rain.  I was in the mood for a nice hot bowl of ramen, so I drove to Westfield Century City Shopping Center, home to Ajisen Ramen.  I had eaten at the restaurant before, so I knew what to expect...a great bowl of ramen!

My tummy satisfied, I spent the afternoon at the J. Paul Getty Museum to get a little culture. The Getty collects and displays primarily European art...paintings, drawings, sculptures, etc. 


When it comes to art, I'm pretty much a novice, although I AM familiar with some of the famous impressionists, such as Vincent Van Gogh and Claude Monet.  And, I was impressed to see some of those artists' paintings at the museum.  Here's Van Gogh's Irises and a Monet still life.



As for the rest of the early 1600s-1700s stuff, I was clueless.  I didn't spent too much time looking at those paintings, but some of the decorative arts was pretty amazing.  Talk about a fancy living room!


After my museum visit, I made a return trip to the Los Angeles Farmer's Market to get more tasty Brazilian food from the Pampas Grill. And, so, my time in southern California had come to an end.  Tomorrow, I make the slow drive north along the California and Oregon coasts, seeing some sights along the way. 

No comments: