Monday, October 15, 2012

Reliving the magic...at least most of the time

Well, today was the day.  After 17 long years, I was going to Disneyland!  This morning, I rode the Anaheim Resort Transit shuttle from my hotel to the park.  After meeting up with a couple of friends, Amelia and Mary, we entered the gates of the Magic Kingdom.  Our first stop...the Matterhorn bobsleds.  With such a long period of time since I last rode this attraction, I wasn't sure what to expect.  It turns out...I was terrified, bordering on traumatized!  Okay, perhaps I exaggerate, but needless to say, it wasn't fun for me.  Things were more settled when we next rode the Pirates of the Caribbean and The Haunted Mansion.  The whole park was decked out in Halloween decorations due to the upcoming holiday, and the latter was no exception.

 

No sooner did I catch my breath, we headed back to Tomorrowland via the Disneyland Railroad for another frightening ride...Space Mountain: Ghost Galaxy!  Again, I didn't remember how intense it was, and I was soon checking that off as another one I would never ride again.  Feeling slightly queasy, I shook it off and enjoyed the crowd pleaser, Peter Pan's Flight.  Next, it was suggested we ride the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.  I had my reservations...it being a roller coaster-type ride...but the presence of little kids in line lulled me into false security.  The fast, sharp turns and up-and-down motions soon had my stomach turning flip flops.  I needed a little time to recuperate before lunch to give my stomach a chance to settle down.  I added Big Thunder Mountain to my "never ride again" list.


After fueling up with a Mexican food lunch, we were entertained with the raucous musical talents in the Tiki Room.  Animatronic birds never looked and sounded so good!


The rest of the afternoon as spent riding the more tame attractions in Fantasyland, like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride and Alice In Wonderland.  We also did the obligatory It's A Small World, and a favorite from my childhood, Autopia.  My last ride of the day was a return visit to Pirates Of The Caribbean.  As we were walking out of the park to grab some dinner at Rainforest Cafe, we spotted Mickey Mouse near the main entrance.  I didn't get a photo WITH him, but I still manage to snap a solo shot.


It must have been pretty hot tn that costume.  What am I saying?  I shouldn't be ruining the magic!  It's Mickey Mouse!  Tomorrow, we do Disney's California Adventure theme park.  I've never been to this one...it was constructed after my last visit to Disneyland.  Looking forward to a lot of new rides...and at least one fun, familiar one. 

No comments: