Thursday, October 11, 2012

The longest road in Oregon

When I left Boise, ID this morning, I had a LONG drive ahead of me.  We're talking almost 400 miles worth!  Most of it would be going south on U.S. Hwy 95, which should have been a pretty easy trip.  But, it was made much, much longer and harder, thanks to the state of Oregon!  As I left Nampa, the posted speed limit on Hwy 95 was 65 mph.  It was smooth sailing...until I reached the Oregon border.  The speed limit dropped to a downright slow 55 mph!  As I drove miles and miles of straight road, it was pure agony.  It was almost if I wasn't getting anywhere!  To make matters worse, cars were passing me like I was standing still!  Yeah, I admit I was going 5 mph over, but I felt like an idiot trying to follow the speed limit when everyone else was not.  But, I resisted the temptation to go faster and kept at the snail's pace.  Finally, the Nevada border greeted me...with a 70 mph speed limit!  Ridiculous, huh?  And, when I reached Interstate 80...75 mph!  No, I didn't go 80 mph.  I was burning enough gas just going 75.  In this case, I was happy to stick to the speed limit.

I only had one sightseeing destination today.  I took a leisurely stroll through the Grimes Point Archeological Area just outside Fallon, NV.  I had heard that there were a lot of nice petroglyphs there, and I wasn't disappointed.



The drawings were made by native people that lived in the area thousands of years ago, but their purpose remains uncertain.  The holes in some of the rocks appear to have be used to grind grain and other foodstuffs, though.



The weather report looks threatening tomorrow.  It looks like rain overnight and into the morning.  Even a little snow as I travel south.  I'm hoping the rain holds off in the afternoon so I can finally visit the ghost town in Bodie, CA.  We'll see...

No comments: