Monday, April 5, 2010

Attention Robot Skeleton Army!

I woke up to...rain! It started raining last night and it was still there in the morning. Thankfully, by the time I drove to downtown Los Angeles, it had stopped and the sun was peeking through the clouds. I checked out the historic Angels Flight Railway, touted as The World's Shortest Railway. At 25 cents a ride, the price was right! I rode it up...then down. Next, I went to Hollywood to visit the Museum Of Death. It's a museum that simply deals with death in our society, which is a topic that most people tend to avoid...until they're forced to face it personally. The exhibits tended to be pretty graphic, especially when dealing with criminal cases, but I found them informative. This museum is definitely not for everyone, but give it a try if you find you have a morbid fascination with death...or just want to learn something different!

My big event of the day was attending a taping of The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson. After a tasty corned beef and cabbage lunch at the Los Angeles Farmer's Market, I drove to CBS Television City. I parked in their visitor's lot, then joined the line of people waiting to get in. While I was waiting, I bonded with a vacationing couple from Calgary, Alberta. When I told them I lived in Bellingham, WA, they both knew where it was, having lived north of the border in Vancouver, BC.

When zero hour came, our tickets...previously obtained via the internet...were collected, and everyone went through metal detectors and bag checks. Next, we proceeded into the building and up to the studio. Initially, I was seated in the last row...and right behind a lady with a big head. But, after they placed other audience members in some unfilled VIP seats up front...me and two guys got moved to 4th row center! A much better view of the stage! We were soon entertained by the warm-up comedian, who went by the name Chucky B. He was hilarious, and was later really good at encouraging everyone on when and how to cheer Craig on.

Finally...SHOW TIME! Craig came out and did a musical number with some backup musicians...well, they were pretending anyway! I would have to say, Craig sings pretty good, even though it was a satiric tune! This was a really big show because Craig's robot sidekick made his debut. Named Geoff Peterson...for seemingly no particular reason...the robot was built by Mythbusters member Grant Imahara and was inspired by Craig's Twitter followers, known as the Robot Skeleton Army. You can read about the construction of Geoff here. Craig included Geoff throughout the show, even when interviewing guests Kristin Bell and Grant. The robot was limited to only 8 canned phrases, but Craig utilized them to great comic effect. In all, it was yet another fun-filled experience, and one I would definitely do again! If you ever find yourself wanting some FREE entertainment, why not give Craig's show a whirl! Oh, and you can always watch him on TV, too...CBS-TV, right after David Letterman!

No comments: